How To Insure An RV Or Motorhome When You Take It South

Are you hoping to live out your romantic dreams of travelling the open roads of the good old USA, joining the snowbirds and heading south for the winter months, or just want a new taste of adventure for you and the kids? Then you might be thinking of joining thousands of other travellers doing so in an RV or motorhome. But before setting off make sure you consider all of the insurance options to make sure your trip goes off without a hitch.

You Are Returning To Canada In Your RV

So you plan on travelling from the Big Apple to The Sunshine State, Sin City to The Big Easy, but ultimately your voyage will end back in Canada. In that case you are able to insure your vehicle from your home province, although be aware that provincial laws vary so it is best to double check with your insurance provider about what rules may apply.

An RV or motorhome requires the same liability and accident benefit protection as a car would. However, you should also take into account the size and weight of many motorhomes - just think of the additional damage one could cause in a crash! You might want to consider increasing your liability protection- especially if you are heading south of the border.

You’re Leaving Your RV In The US

While your provincial insurance is fine if you plan on returning home in your vehicle, it will not cover you if you’ve set your hopes on leaving it in the US. Many road trip regulars leave their RV or motorhome in storage in the US, opting to fly home between trips. Not only does this avoid backtracking, but it also saves on wear and tear.

However, if you do make this decision, you should know that once you return to Canada without your vehicle, your provincial insurance becomes void.
If you’re a smart cookie, you’ll take out an American insurance policy. According to an insurance specialist from Valley First Insurance Services in Kamloops, who shared his top tips with RV West Magazine, if a Canadian resident plans to leave their RV in The States long term, it is best to take out an insurance policy in their chosen location. That way, you don’t need to be concerned about transferring registration or insurance until the RV is back on Canadian soil.

For the most part, a person is okay to insure in the US, so long as they have an address in the country. In most cases, the park you’re pitched at will allow you to use theirs. Alternatively, join an RV Club with a mailing service and register the RV in the club’s home state. There may be a need to advise them that the unit is being stored and obtain extra coverage.

Your RV Is A Second Home

If you spend three to six months of your year living down south in your RV, then chances are it feels like a second home to you - so why not insure it like one?

Do you know if you’re covered should someone slip, or is otherwise injured while on your property? Double check and see whether the current policy you have covers that type of injury while your RV is parked at a campground or motorhome park.

You may also want to consider raising your personal liability coverage - especially when parked on US turf. Just like your home, you might also want to consider some kind of contents insurance, if your RV houses any important or expensive possessions. This goes for theft and fire insurance or property damage, too. After all, you want to make sure your second home is as safe as possible.

If you current home and auto insurer doesn’t offer the kind of coverage you need, perhaps seek out an RV insurance specialist. Whatever your plans may be, there is a wealth of insurance firms offering different policies to fit your needs.